Summit County Housing Department
The key functions of the Summit County Housing Department include policy and strategy development, affordable workforce housing development and asset management.
Policy and Strategy DevelopmentThe Housing Department works directly with the Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) on all policies and strategies affecting affordable workforce housing in Summit County.
Affordable Workforce Housing DevelopmentThe Housing Department is responsible for all phases of affordable workforce housing development from conceptualization to implementation, including the following:
- Identify potential development opportunities and acquire land suitable for development;
- Coordinate preparation of site-specific development plans, entitlements and building permitting;
- Coordinate with ongoing private development for housing opportunities;
- Arrange for project financing, including applicable federal and state grants and loan programs;
- Seek out, develop and maintain partnerships with nonprofit, corporate, individual and governmental entities;
- Prepare and manage consultant and construction contracts;
- Manage construction projects.
The Housing Department actively manages the county’s affordable workforce housing assets by:
- Acquiring and entitling properties to be used for affordable ownership and rental housing;
- Providing supervision and technical expertise for rental properties owned by the County;
- Ensuring compliance with all covenants and deed restrictions where the County is the beneficiary;
- Maintaining properties consistent with the Fair Housing Act and Americans with Disabilities Act and Summit County’s ownership goals.
Workforce Housing Project Updates
Summit County has recently completed the Huron Landing project in partnership with the Town of Breckenridge, and is currently working on the Lake Hill Master Plan.
West Hills Townhomes is a public-private partnership between Summit County government and West Hills LLC. In Phase 1 of the project, 25 two- and three-bedroom townhomes will be ready for occupancy in the Keystone area in summer 2018. A lottery for prospective buyers will take place Oct. 25, 2017.
The Town of Breckenridge and Summit County unveiled Huron Landing on July 14, 2017. Huron Landing includes 26 rental apartments just north of downtown Breckenridge on County Road 450. Read on...
Lake Hill Neighborhood Master PlanSummit County began the master planning process for the 45-acre Lake Hill property in March 2016. More than 300 community members have participated in the process through interviews, focus groups, three community open houses and site field trips.
The project team has also conducted extensive site analysis, studying the site’s topography, development constraints and infrastructure options. In collaboration with the team, Summit County has drafted the final master plan documents.
Lake Hill Master Plan
The Lake Hill neighborhood master plan was developed with consideration for the full range of housing needs identified in the recently completed 2016 Summit County Workforce Housing Demand Update.
Learn more about the Lake Hill Master Plan project.
If you have questions or comments about Summit County’s affordable workforce housing efforts, contact Summit County Housing Director Nicole Bleriot 970-485-4136.