Marriage Licenses

I'm Getting Married!  What Do I Do?

It’s much easier than you might think, and we’re here to help!  The Clerk & Recorder facilitates your application for a Colorado Marriage License.  Colorado Marriage Licenses may be used anywhere within the State of Colorado, but need to be returned for recording at the office where you applied.  Same-sex Marriage Licenses are now available in Colorado.  Witnesses are not required in the State of Colorado, and your Officiant does not need to be present at the time of application.  There are no blood test prerequisites in Colorado.

Step 1: Timeline

Marriage Licenses expire if they are not used within 35 days from the date of issuance from our office, so come in to apply no earlier than 35 days before your ceremony.  The Clerk & Recorder's Office is not open on weekends.  If you have planned a weekend ceremony, you’ll need to come into the office prior to your ceremony.  We are unable to backdate Marriage Licenses.

Step 2: Application

Save some time and fill out this application form.  Both parties to the marriage must be present at the time of application with valid photo ID that displays date of birth such as: Driver License (any State), Military ID, Passport, State-issued ID card.  We cannot accept Birth Certificates, Baptismal Certificates or Foreign Consular IDs.

We have marriage applications and requirements in Spanish!
Tenemos aplicaciones y requisitos del matrimonio en Español.

Each situation is unique, here are some “what-if’s”:
If one person can’t make it to the application, fill out this Absentee AffidavitImportant: have it notarized and bring it into the office with a clear copy of the absent applicant’s ID.
If you’ve been married before, we’ll need some additional information.  Check out the application for exactly what information we’ll need.
If you don’t have a Social Security Number, you’ll need to fill out a Social Security Number Affidavit and submit it at the time of application.
You want certified copies: we highly recommend purchasing at least three certified copies at the time of application for $3.00 each, especially if you plan on changing your name.  You can always purchase more at a later time.  When it comes time to pay for your License, we’ll give you the opportunity to purchase some.

Step 3: Get Married!

How you want to solemnize your marriage is your choice.  Staff can provide you with a sample of how to fill out your Certificate at the time of application.  If you require assistance in how to take the other party’s last name in your signature, ask a staff member.  There are three different routes:

  • Civil Ceremony: Overseen by a judge, retired judge, magistrate or another official certified to oversee and solemnize marriages.  To set up an appointment with a Summit County Court judge, you’ll need to make an appointment in advance by calling (970) 453-2272 or visiting the Clerk of Courts window at the Justice Center at 501 North Park Avenue during business hours.  The judge will perform your ceremony and sign the Marriage Certificate.
  • Religious Ceremony: Overseen by any ordained individual.  Click here for a list of Officiants that we know of, or you can contact a local church of your choice.  The Officiant will perform your ceremony and sign the Marriage Certificate.
  • Self-Solemnization: Overseen by the parties to the marriage themselves, without an Officiant or Judge.  This can be explained in further detail when you arrive to apply for your License.

Step 4: Record Your License

When the Marriage License has been filled out completely and signed, return it to the Clerk & Recorder's office to be recorded.  By Colorado law, you have 63 days to return the License to our office.  We will record the License, make any certified copies, and return your original License to you.

Common Law Marriage

If you’re looking for information on Common Law Marriage in Colorado, click here to go to the Colorado Attorney General’s website for further details.  If you need an affidavit, click here.  If you’d like to record the affidavit in our office, visit us during business hours.